Wednesday, November 15, 2006

In the Dust of the Rabbi

This past weekend Jordan and I had the opportunity to travel to San Antonio to attend a conference presented by Dr. Ray Van der Laan. It was amazing on so many different levels.

It was nice to travel with our church and not be the adults in charge. It's hard to recall the last time that occurred. We love our students, but it was a blessing to be able to go and be filled and not have to worry about all the little details.

RVL's teachings have been scattered through our church but I had never taken the time to listen to them. Many at our church just LOVE this man and his tapes. For some reason the way I heard others speak about him and things he said, made me a bit skeptical. So, heading to San Antonio I didn't really know what was before me.

Now, I understand!

RVL is passionate! His love for the Lord just overflows. Sometimes that can come across as a fake veneer, but his love for the Lord also runs deep. His teachings are so insightful. He has spent his life studying about the Jewish people and their customs. He clearly explains important differences between Eastern and Western thought and the implications those have on how we approach Scripture.

I wish I could share all my thoughts here, but there is much I am still processing. What I gained from this trip is a renewed desire to truly search the Scriptures. RVL seemed to make the Old Testament jump off the page. He showed us how so many texts parallel the ministry of Jesus. It must have been amazing for Jesus' disciples.

The title of this post comes from one of RVL's teachings about the rabbinic schools and how one truly advanced to the level of being a disciple of a rabbi. The blessing says, "May you be covered in the dust of your rabbi." In other words, may you be following so closely, that the dust he kicks up as he walks covers you.

"Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked." I John 2.6

No comments: